Horrible job for FY1's. Guaranteed burnout.
Massive rota gaps meaning frequently working an oncall level staffing or less
Bullying with members of staff calling juniors minions or ward monkeys
Northampton General Hospital
Most of the consultants are lovely, supportive, knowledgable, and encouraging. A few are "old-school" and abrasive/rude, especially with the most junior members of staff. Nurses have picked this up and replicate it.
Theatre staff are S L O W. The turnaround between patients on the emergency list is a snail's pace. It's slightly better in elective lists as they get to go home when the list is done, but they don't go too quickly just in case they finish early and get emergency cases to do. Anaesthetic trainees get time to learn, but often staff will be tapping their feet and staring at the clock if you let the SHO fumble during the surgery. Often by that time the consultant has taken over because they're frustrated by how slow the list is, too. This means that surgical training takes a back seat to list efficiency.
The A&E is a shambles and unpleasant to work in, making on calls dreadful.
1. There are no areas to see patients as they are taken up by patients awaiting beds
2. Referrals are often "They have abdominal pain and I don't know why, please see them" with no reasonable differential
3. Once you have seen a patient it is then your responsibility to refer on to a different speciality - there's no ownership of patients by A&E, purely triage
4. If a patient is referred through A&E by a GP, you will have to do your own obs, bloods, and cannula
5. There are too many referrals for you to "senior review" your juniors' work - you will have to clerk, write the notes, write the drug chart etc.
6. It gets HOT and sweating your way through an on call is unpleasant.
NB. SDEC (same day emergency care, akin to SAU but shared with medics) is one saving grace of the on call, but there will often be 30+ patients through the doors every day on top of A&E.
Clinics run smoothly and are as enjoyable as they can be, with consultants happily answering all of your questions.